Church History

Twenty-one people who met in the lower room of the Masonic Building founded Vinton Baptist Church on July 14, 1895. On March 20, 1897, they formed a building committee and purchased land from J.T. Matthew. The building was completed and dedicated on October 3, 1897; the construction cost was $2,034.23. During the night of January 5, 1928, a fire started in the residence of A.L. Stevens and spread down the street, destroying the church. The members continued meeting in the Vinton High School Auditorium while they made plans to rebuild. The church broke ground for its new building on July 19, 1928. One year and one day after the fire, Sunday School was held in the new church. The first preaching service was on January 13, 1929. The church was officially dedicated on June 23, 1929.
The church has experienced many changes since that time. The church was organized as the Freewill Baptist Church of Vinton, but according to the clerk's book, they quit using that name and started using Vinton Baptist Church in 1925. In 1917, this particular branch of Freewill Baptist Churches became a part of the Northern Baptist Churches of Ohio with offices in Granville, Ohio. The Northern Baptist Churches later became known as the American Baptist Convention of Ohio. Now its name is American Baptist Churches of Ohio (which is a subset of the American Baptist Churches USA). On July 2, 1971, our church name was officially changed to Vinton Baptist Church. In 1971, an Education Wing with four classrooms, nursery, and restrooms was added.  In 1979, the baptistery additions were added which contained two classrooms, two offices, choir loft, and a restroom.  Various other purchases and improvements have taken place as needed.

On November 17, 1997, a Building Committee was once again formed to begin plans to add to the building.  However, FEMA denied us a building permit because the church sat in a flood zone.  October 1998, we purchased 11.164 acres on St Rt. 160, outside the Village.  On April 2, 2001, groundbreaking ceremonies took place, and it wasn’t long before the steel frame was erected.  After several years of good financial planning and lots of work, the new facilities opened on August 10, 2003.  Official dedication services were held on September 7, 2003. 


Join us every Sunday as we gather to worship together at 10:45 am.